Sunday, January 22, 2012

All Fail and Fall Short.

I tend to get caught up in the idea that a president of this free country can pull us out of this mire we are stuck in.  But when I sit back and take mental notes of each person vying for this position I find myself disappointing on every front.
Some are so far from God that there is no way to comprehend how I could stand behind them.  Others have stuffed so many skeletons in their closets they can't keep track of them all.  Everyone is trying so hard to get their choice in the front that they will say and do anything it takes get them there.  All of them have stumbled at some point.

We are left trying to make sense of it all.

Where is the truth in all this?

We can only look to God to find direction, stability and truth.
We can only rely on His judgement.
We can only look to Him for leadership.
Let all else fall away.

With all this a story in the bible is brought to mind, when the Israelites are crying to Samuel to give them a leader since he is getting old and needs a replacement.
God wants them to look to Him for leadership.
God is not even in their radar.

He wants US to look to Him for leadership.  We want someone we can look at and deem good looking.  We want someone who can talk to us, say words to us and we want to believe it all to be true.  We choose those with the slick hair, great smiles and well read speeches.

God is standing right in front of us, saying, "Here I am, I will lead you."
We just look right through Him with a thousand mile stare.  Trying to focus on the earthly leadership to make it all right for us.
We reject Him.  We say, 'Lord, give us a leader!'

Samuel was very upset with their request and went to the LORD for advice. 
"Do as they say," the LORD replied, "for it is me they are rejecting, not you. They don't want me to be their king any longer.  Ever since I brought them from Egypt they have continually forsaken me and followed other gods. And now they are giving you the same treatment.  Do as they ask, but solemnly warn them about how a king will treat them."
1 Samuel 8:6-9 

But we push Him away with more and more fervency.
Pushing back against what we need and clutching at what we want.
As it all slips away, we may be left with nothing.

But the people wouldn't listen to Samuel. "No!" they said. "We will have a king to rule us!"
1 Samuel 8:19 


As we can see from day to day, not one of the earthly candidates, even by adding them together, will add up to what we need.
They will all lie, at some point.
They will all fail, at some point.
They have all fallen short.
No matter which side you choose.
No one can lead us like the Father.

They've all taken the wrong turn; they've all wandered down blind alleys. 
No one's living right; I can't find a single one.
Romans 3:12

Then Jesus answered, "I am not an earthly king. If I were, my followers would have fought when I was arrested by the Jewish leaders. But my Kingdom is not of this world."
John 18:36

I have to continually remind myself to not get caught up in the details of who will lead this country.  I have to trust that God will appoint who is supposed to be there for this season.  If we are supposed to go further into the ditch for more people to cry out to the Father, then that is what we need.

Until the leader of my home, Jesus Christ comes to re-establish His throne,
we will wait and watch.

Come quickly Lord Jesus!

For at the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven by the blessed 
and only almighty God, the King of kings and Lord of lords.
1 Timothy 6:15

No comments:

Post a Comment